Monday, May 7, 2012

Link, Ligisterna, Murdering Murders and Handgranat at Broder Tuck review 6/5-12


There will be pictures later....


The Place
Broder Tuck I described at Ligisternas and the Dräperz review in earlier this year. It isn´t the best of places to see bands at. But at least I can see them, so I don´t whine to much about it.


The Crowd
It was a pretty fair crowd a Sunday night at the narrow basement of Broder Tuck. Sunday isn´t directly t the ball of a week. So I am surprised that, in the end, so many showed up. The concert room at Broder Tuck is in my mind pretty close to a disaster from my crowd point of view. The sound is usual quite bad. But tonight at least Link showed it is possible to get it to sounds good.
The place in itself doesn´t invite to mosh pitting but that isn´t high on the Stockholm crowds toplist.   

Handgranat
Handgranat was a new experience for me. And they set the pace for the night. It´s fast, it´s hard and it´s funny. The sound is good and the energy level is high. After a few bars the feeling of Sunday is long gone, now it´s all about survival. The singer have a deep throat voice that fit perfect with the rest of the band. The drummer gives a certain dynamic to the fast tunes that with a less skilled drummer should be suffering a bit.


Murdering Murders
Murdering Murders singer doesn’t have the same deep growling roar as handgranat´s voice handler. But he have a desperation from the inside that he pour on us as a bitter salt. It´s both funny and bitter in the same sentence. Between the songs there are monologs to set us in the right mood. And they show us how shitty the everyday life can be, how narrow minded and petty the Bougoise society can be. Early in the set they have gear trouble, that Ligisterna later will develop into an art form. So in the beginning of the set they sound not as heavy as Handgranat. But though the set they manage to get it right.


Ligisterna
Ligisterna starts off with a few disasters. First guitar trouble, then microphone troubles, microphone trouble. After the first song there was more guitar trouble. So they was a bit stressed by it and that affected the whole set. To make it worse for them, the crowd teased them that they play to slow, which the band answer with humor. -We will play ever slower soon, they reply. One of the strenght of Ligisterna is their bitter  humor. After two fast as hell bands it wasn´t an easy task to slow it down, to be more traditional punk. But here, Ligisterna should take the credit. Their songs are so good that they have no trouble to make an impact on both me and the crowd, especially on one skinhead that spontaneously moves to the music. The set doesn´t have the same amount of energy that I´ve been used to get from them, and I guess they them self think of it as a skitspelning (crappy gig). Ligisternas humor saves them together with their incredibly strong tunes. I mean, a band havn´t been tested until a disaster gig like this or in front of a hostile crowd is done, and I think they crawl out of it with a honor. In the end of SAAB I can´t help myself and I got a tear in the corner of my eye. That song is the pure essence of what is happening in the western world today.


Link
The Belgian band Link ends the venue and my nine gig weekend. And what a lession in professionalism that was. Listen and Learn! The sound was as close to perfect as you can get. The Growling roars that was the singing was the roar of hell. They were as heavy as the other bands together. And Yet, so musically and sonically sophisticated. This was the best gig of this week ends all nine gigs I´ve seen. The guys seems humble on the verge to annihilation. Don´t worry we are here to see you, I found myself thinking. Some of the audience have waited a long time to see them. I think I was blessed that I was there and the number of people that I think should be sad about missing this is quite a few. They really missed something.
I can´t help thinking that this band should be on a much larger stage. On an stadium I think it should be more fitting, in front of thousands of fans. The sound and songs gives me images of them at a big stage. If their intention was to drag me to hell to show what it is like? They really got me to like it.

OK, you read me whine about the “stand like statues” crowd culture of Stockholm. So this time I wind up some skins and punks for some mosh pitting in front. And I was great. I think Link deserved it.


Was it worth the 60Skr in attendance fee. Link in itself was worth the double so you can make up your own conclusion from it. Deaf and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment